Be Aware of Winter Fire Hazards

Be Aware of Winter Fire Hazards

Usually, when we think of winter, we think of cold weather and wet days. We’re more concerned about frozen pipes and water damage. But there are plenty of fire hazards to be aware of when keeping warm indoors. ServiceMaster Superior Cleaning & Restoration Services wants to ensure you stay safe in Westchester and Fairfield Counties this winter with these safety tips to prevent potential fire damage.


Even the small open flame of a candle can be a fire hazard. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association reported that between 2011 – 2015, an estimated 8,700 home structure fires a year were started by candles. Because candle flames are so small, people don’t always take them as seriously as they should. Make sure to always keep candles at least 12 inches away from any time of flammable material or object when lit. It is also important to never leave candles unattended around children or pets and always blow them out before leaving a room. It’s also a good idea to not light candles when feeling sleepy or going to bed soon, lest you might forget about them and fall asleep.


Fireplaces can be a major source of comfort during the cold months of winter, but precautions should always be taken to ensure you’re using them safely. Limit your risk by always ensuring the damper is open before lighting the fireplace and do not close it until the ashes are completely cooled. Always keep flammable objects a reasonable distance away from the fireplace and keep the screen door closed to catch embers that may fly out.

Space Heaters

Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of fires in the home. However, when improperly used or left on for too long, they can cause considerable damages. Space heaters run the risk of malfunctioning or causing an electrical fire due to faulty wiring. Always keep flammable objects or fabrics at least three feet away from a space heater and always turn it off before going to bed or leaving the room for long periods of time. Also, consider having your heating equipment inspected by a qualified professional on an annual basis to ensure that it won’t malfunction or break and result in a fire.

Keeping your home safe and warm is important in winter. Always follow best practices for lighting fires, large or small. Accidents happen, so if you do find yourself in a situation where you need fire damage cleanup services, call ServiceMaster Superior Cleaning & Restoration Services. We have an expert fire damage restoration team here in Westchester and Fairfield Counties and are on call 24/7 for emergency fire and smoke damage calls.